Neopets has come to the metaverse
For anyone that grew up in the 2000s, names like Runescape, WoW and Neopets will be very familiar. The latter – Neopets, that is – has announced that it’s coming to Web3 with the launch of the alpha version of Neopets Metaverse a few days ago.
Neopets Metaverse combines classic elements of the original Neopets with a robust variety of new features and activities to create a nostalgia-invoking experience designed to appeal to both seasoned Neopians and new players worldwide.
While the designs are wholly based on Neopets.com, its metaverse combines this classic nostalgia with the ever-evolving experience of the metaverse. According to the company’s press release, players can expect to experience:
- A diverse Neopets customization and care system.
- Personalized Neohomes to design, create, and visit.
- A brand new battle combat system
- A variety of PvE (Player versus Environment) activities to train and grow your Neopets.
- A unique experience to buy, sell, and trade items as well as accessories in the reimagined shops and P2P Marketplace.
After completing all the alpha version elements, players can expect to receive exclusive in-game prizes.
“Behind the story of Neopets is a strong and supportive community of players who have also grown with the Neopets brand, diligently holding onto the nostalgia attached to it… Whether you’re a player who traversed the world of Neopia in the early Y2K days or someone who has joined us recently, we are excited to invite you on an epic adventure within Neopets Metaverse and the Web3 space.”Dominic Law, Chief Metaverse Officer for Neopets Metaverse.
Since it was first launched, Neopets has drawn together a community of over 150 million players over two decades. Over one million users still play through the classic, browser-based experience. This new metaverse experience also makes sure familiar faces and games are part of the fun. For example, having started on Aug 15th, some of its first minigames include classics like:
- Turmac Roll, the side-scrolling game where players collect varying rarities of berries while avoiding trees and obstacles
- Meerca Chase – a Snake-like game where you collect Neggs and avoid colliding with your ever-growing tail.
- And Ultimate Bullseye – the crossbow accuracy game.
Neopets has long been a welcoming and inclusive community. With the integration of the blockchain ecosystem, Neopets Metaverse will tap into the vast potential that GameFi has to offer, while simultaneously achieving the vision of the Neopets Metaverse to prolong generational memories and experiences for future Neopians.